When I am eating at a restaurant, I always ask the waiter for water without ice and they often look at me like I am a crazy person. But, today you will find out why.
Close your eyes first and imagine this:
It is spring and you are on a wooden dock that extends into a mountain lake. The temperature in the air is warm, but the top layer of the mountain lake has just melted and you can see by the color of the crystal blue water that it is warm. You close the eyes and dive in the lake.
What does your skin do? And what does your body do? Are you constricted and tight or open and relaxed?
Maybe you know that the warm water makes your skin feel looser and opens your pores, while the cold water constricts the skin and closes the pores. That is happening to your digestive tract when you drink cold water.
What happens if you drink cold water?
- Your body is expending the energy to regulate the temperature, instead of absorbing the nutrients to create energy and instead of working to digest the consumed food. This situation can lead to water loss.
- When you drink cold beverages, the digestion becomes restricted, the blood vessels shrink and the hydration is hindered.
- If you drink cold beverages while you eat food or after that, the water temperature solidifies fats from the eaten food and your body in turns finds it difficult to digest the undesired fats from the body.
- If you drink cold water after a meal, you create excess mucus in the body that can decrease the function of your immune system, making it easier to catch illnesses and colds.
Some people think and say that the cold water is beneficial because it can burn more calories. But, we don’t want to make the digestive system to work harder, we should make the things as easy as we can. There are so many other ways if you want to burn calories.
Some benefits of drinking warm water
- The natural digestive enzymes are stimulated and because of that the digestion is enhanced
- Faster and increased hydration
- The bowels move better and the warm water with lemon juice in the morning is amazing for this
- Food breaks down easily
- It increases the natural detoxification process of the body and purifies your blood via your kidneys, skin and lymphatic system
When you get into the habit of drinking warm water or water at room temperature, you will see a great improvement in the digestion and the way that your body feels after the meal or during the meal. Some people also have reported reduction in sugar cravings.