If you don’t like and don’t drink the tap water for any reason, and you go to buy bottled water, take a look at the triangle at the bottom of the bottle and the number that is written in the middle. You can learn some horrific things. Even though people are very interested in the water composition, they usually ignore the chemical composition of the bottles. So, look at the bottom of every bottle for the triangle with a number in the middle and discover how dangerous the plastic in your hands is.
- PET or usually PETE – most of these bottles are for single use. It is possible that they can emit heavy metal antimony, a chemical substance EPA that interferes with the hormones’ action. They can also be carcinogenic.
- PVC or sometimes 3V – this plastic can emit two toxic chemicals that also influence the hormones in the body. This is the most used plastic.
- HDP or sometimes HDPE – this plastic is called “good” because it has the lowest possibility of emitting chemicals in the water.
- LDPE – even though the fact that this type of plastic doesn’t emit chemicals in the water, it is usually used for making plastic bags instead of bottles.
- PS – this plastic emits the carcinogenic STIREN. It is often used for coffee cups and fast food packaging.
- PP – this is one of the “good” plastics that is usually white or transparent. It is usually used for syrup cups or bottles for yogurt.
- PC or without a label – this is the worst possible plastic for food products because this plastic emits the chemical BPA. Unluckily, it is used for sports bottles, bottles for infants and containers for food storage.
It looks like the plastics labeled with 3, 4 and 6 or LDPE, HDP and PP or don’t emit any chemicals. The worst plastics are 1, 2, 5 and 7. In these plastic bottles, the water is under chemical activity and temperature and it is also exposed to bacterial pollution.