The knee pain is usually caused by constant motions that stress your knee over knee or by one-time acute injury, especially as we age. There are a few ways to avoid the knee injuries and pain.
The director of sports rehabilitation in New York City at the Beth Israel Medical Center, Robert Gotlin, said that one of the most usual things that causes the injuries is the stretch of the runner. That is when you grab the foot, bringing the heel to the butt. We do this regularly, but it is one of the reasons for knee pain. By bending the knee, the knee, your kneecap gets clogged into the bones that are below it.
The doctor Gotlin said that the stretch of the runner can set the stage for the condition chondromalacia patella, which is a condition where the cartilage under the knee cap becomes softened, and that is the most usual form of knee pain. He said that by constantly clogging your kneecap, you are developing more chondromalacia.
He said that the best prevention of knee injury begins with becoming familiar with the body and learning how to do the exercise correctly. If the knees are prone to the chronic pain from the arthritis, the impact-oriented exercise, for example, is not the best idea. Better choose the elliptical machine in the gym rather than the treadmill.
9 Ways to avoid the knee injury
- Maintain the weight – the extra weight can increase the risk of developing osteoarthritis, so maintain a weight that is right for your age and size to decrease the stress on the knees and to avoid the increased chances for injury.
- Wear sensible shoes – this will help you to maintain the right balance and leg alignment, preventing the knee injuries.
- Warm up – before doing any kind of exercise, warm up and then do the exercise. If you stretch the muscles in the back and the front of the thighs, it will decrease the tension on the tendons, and it will relieve the pressure on the knees.
- Do low-impact exercise – at the gym, choose the cross-country skiing machine or a rowing machine. They both offer a very strong workout with low impact to the knees.
- Walk or swim – when doing exercises outside of your gym, choose walking or swimming.
- Weight train – strengthen the leg muscles to support the knees better and avoid the injuries by doing a workout using weights. But, you should consult with an expert.
- Don’t decrease the activity – a decrease in activity can lead to weakness, and will increase the chances of injuries.
- Don’t change the intensity of the exercise quickly – build up slowly to avoid the knee pain.
- Consider physical therapy – if you have a knee injury, you should visit a physical therapist that will help you to set up the right exercise regime.
Maybe you will see that some people with knee issues wrap the knees during doing exercise. The doctor Gotlin says that the people usually do this because it feels so good. It won’t hurt the knee, but it won’t help to avoid some injury. If you wrap the knee, avoid wrapping it too tightly, because that can cause some knee problem.