The sugar waxing or simply referred to as Sugaring or Persian waxing is an old natural method of epilation i.e. hair removal. It is smooth for the skin and less painful and irritable compared to waxing.
This method has been used since 2000 BC and it has had other names as well, like Moum in Iran, ağda in Turkey and Sukkar in the Middle East.
The mixture consists of sugar, water and lemon juice and could be used as a sugar paste or gel. The only difference is that sugar paste removes the hair in direction of their growth whereas the sugar gel, in the opposite direction, which is same as Waxing.
Sugar waxing lowers the risk of burns, so that makes it a better solution than waxing especially if you wax larger skin areas. It could still however cause skin irritation or some reaction, but that can easily be prevented if you take an anti-histamine.
What do you need to make the sugar paste?
- 2 cups of sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
How to prepare it?
- Firstly, put the ingredients in a saucepan. It is recommended to squeeze the juice from the lemon and remove the pulp so you can get the bright juice. Put the saucepan on the stove and stir. At the beginning, the mixture is white but then it becomes translucent.
- As soon as it starts boiling, lower the temperature. It is very important that the sugar mixture is cooked on a low temperature. Stir constantly in order not to begin to burn at the bottom.
- The liquid will start changing its color, but because of the bubbles at the surface, you would not easiy notice the change. That is why you need to remove the saucepan from the stove from time to time and check the mixture with a spoon.
- The mixture is ready as soon is it gets the color of honey. In order to be sure that you have cooked it properly, take a teacup with cold water and put a bit of the sugar mixture. If it gets shape as a small ball, the mixture is ready. If not, continue boiling.
- Leave the mixture to cool itself and then put it in another dish. After it cools itself, take a part of it in your hand and start to knead it with your fingers. While you do that, the mixture should look like a bubble gum. The best scenario is that you would feel a quiet tip while you stretch it and the colour would become brighter.
You don’t need any kind of towels to do the epilation. You simply take a part of the mixture with your hands, knead it, place it in the opposite way of the growing of the hairs and pull in the way the hairs grow.
For more efficient epilation, follow these steps:
- Make sure your skin is clean. Take a shower before you start with the epilation.
- Put a slight layer of baby powder over the skin. It helps the skin to reduce its moisture.
- Put the sugar paste in an OPPOSITE way of the growing of the hairs. Use fast moves to pull in the other direction. You could also use medical gloves if you don’t like your hands to be sticky.
- Repeat the procedure if necessary. This mixture does not irritate the skin as same as the wax.
Finally remove the rest of the sugar paste with warm water.
Here is the process on a video: