Lettuce diet, as the name speaks of itself, is an effective diet consisted of lettuce as the main ingredient. It is suitable for those who want to lose weight in a really short period of time, if only they follow the diet precisely. People consider lettuce as just a green salad, but in fact, there are a lot of health benefits hidden in it. First of all, it’s a low-calorie vegetable. There are only 15 calories in 100 grams of lettuce. It contains a lot of vitamins. Lettuce is an excellent source of vitamin A and beta carotenes, which have antioxidant properties. The vitamin A maintains the healthy muscles, skin and vision. The vitamin K, also contained in the lettuce, strengthens the bones and prevents the osteoporosis. The vitamin C is another powerful antioxidant, improving the immune system and protecting the body against inflammations. Least, but not less important, are the minerals contained, such as iron, calcium, potassium and magnesium, which are of great importance to the body metabolism, controlling the blood pressure and regulating the heart rate. There are also considerable amounts of copper, which helps in the production of the red blood cells.
The lettuce diet consists of different stages, which last for a few days.
- Stage 1: This stage lasts for 2 days, in which you accommodate the body for the diet that follows. All you need is to consume 1/2 lettuce for breakfast. Just make sure you wash the lettuce nicely, then chop it and add salt, lemon juice and strictly olive oil. You can also add fresh herbs such as parsley or sweet basil. You can drink a cup of coffee or tea with no sugar. Before you eat the salad, drink a glass of water. Do not eat anything else other than the salad for breakfast. You can eat regularly for the rest of the day.
- Stage 2: Consists of two days also, where you have to replace breakfast and dinner with the above-mentioned salad.
- Stage 3: This stage lasts for three days, in which the only thing you are allowed to eat is the lettuce salad. There are no limitations on the amount of salad, but no other food is allowed.
- Stage 4: The fourth stage is the same as the second stage. You eat salad for breakfast and dinner, and you eat regularly for lunch. When we say regular food, we don’t mean you need to eat fast of greasy food.
- Stage 5: As you could have guessed, this sage is identical to the first one. You start eating salad only for breakfast, prior that having a glass of water.
The lettuce diet is a great way to lose weight, but it can get a little bit boring and hard to keep. So stay consistent and make through the third stage, and you’re good!