There is one another reason to avoid the Tuna – it is usually loaded with mercury
The fish has always been the greatest source of the omega 3 fats EPA and also DHA, but because the levels of pollution recently have increased, this healthy food has become less viable like the primary source of healthy fats. This is especially true for tuna that is the higher mercury fish.
One study provided by the Geological Survey of the United States discovered the all tuna examined contained high amounts of mercury. The contamination might be worse in the restaurants, confirming that the restaurant tuna is a risky proposition.
According to one another study, the toxicological testing showed that the tuna sold in the restaurants contained higher amounts of the harmful mercury than the fish bought in the stores. This is because the restaurants usually favor some species of tuna, like the bigeye tuna and Bluefin akami, which had higher levels of mercury than the yellowfin tuna and Bluefin Toro.
Unluckily, the mercury tends to gather a greater degree in the muscle than in the fat, rendering the highly prized and leaner kinds of tuna more exposed to high contamination.
One other explanation is that the restaurants buy larger sized fish, which in turn have larger concentrations of the mercury because of their size. The bigger the fish the longer the fish has lived, and also the more time the fish has had to accumulate the toxins like the mercury from the ocean.
Up to 80% of the Salmon might be mislabeled too
It is not just the red snapper and tuna that is usually mislabeled. Randy Hartnell, who is the founder-president of the Vital Choice Wild Seafood and Organics. He explains that 70-80% of the fish marked as “wild” salmon were farmed actually. This includes the restaurants, where 90 to 95 percent of the salmon is farmed, but it might be mis-listed on the restaurant menu like “wild”. These tips can help you to find out whether your salmon is authentic:
- The canned salmon, which is labeled like “Alaskan Salmon” is a good choice, because the Alaskan salmon is not permitted to be farmed.
- In the restaurants, the mislabeled salmon will usually be described like “wild” but not “Alaskan”, because the authentic wild Alaskan is so easier to trace. The label “wild” is more nebulous and because of that is more usually misused. It is so similar in many ways to the abused “natural” label.
- Whether you are in a restaurant or a grocery store, ask the waiter or seafood clerk where that fish is from. If the fish is wild, they will have paid more for that fish, so they will understand the value proposition. Because it is a selling point, they should know where the fish came from. If they don’t answer you, it is obvious that it is farmed, or maybe worse. The United States Food and Drug Administration is going forward with approving the genetically engineered salmon to be sold, and the GE foods still don’t have to be labeled in the United States.
- Avoid the Atlantic salmon, because the salmon labeled like “Atlantic Salmon” comes from the fish farms.
- Because the Sockeye salmon can’t be farmed, the fish that you will find, it is bound to be wild. The Sockeye salmon is different from the other salmon by the color. The color is bright red contrary to the pink. The reason for this bright red color is because of its great astaxanthin content. This fish has the highest content of the astaxanthin of any kind of food.
3 ways to help discover if the seafood is mislabeled
For the usual dinner, it is so difficult to find out if the red snapper or the tuna in the sushi is what is claimed to be. There are a few ways to protect yourself of this seafood fraud.
- Ask questions – the consumers should always ask more questions, including if the fish is farm raised or wild, what kind of fish is, and when, where and how the fish was caught.
- Check the price – if the price of the fish is too great to be true, it apparently is, and you probably are buying a completely different kind of fish than it is says on the label.
- Buy the whole fish – when you can, buy the whole fish, because that makes it more hard to swap one kind for another.
Do you love the seafood? The tips will help you to stay healthy
Aside from the fraud problem, which is prevalent, most of the big waterways on the planet are contaminated with heavy metals, mercury, and chemicals like PCBs, dioxins, and some other agricultural chemicals. This is the reason why we don’t recommend you to get the omega 3 from the fish, but from some high-quality and animal based supplement like the krill oil.
The potential risk of the sockeye fish to accumulate high amounts of the dangerous mercury and some other harmful substances is reduced because this fish has a short life cycle – about 3 years. Also, the accumulation of toxins is reduced, because this fish doesn’t feed on the other fish.
So, if you love the seafood, try to consume most of the fish from the following group that includes:
If you want to eat the store-purchased food, you can check out the mercury calculator online to find out the risks.
Source and Image: www.healthy-holistic-living.com