The Mediterranean diet has recently become very popular among the people who want to lose weight, change their food regime towards healthy nutrition and implement practice new, healthy lifestyle. Its based on olive oil, which is rich with antioxidants and monounsaturated fats, instead of the unhealthy saturated fats. Another good thing about the Mediterranean diet is that you enjoy the food you eat and you don’t have to change your food regime dramatically. The diet contains no precise recipes, there are only rules you need to follow.
On a daily basis:
- You need to implement olive oil in salads, when cooking meat, fish, potatoes… Use olive oil for any type of food and cooking.
- When it comes to dairy products, you need those in your daily menu. You can just pay attention to choose the low-fat products, 0,9% of fat.
- Eat fruits – half an hour before each meal, and one between meals.
- Eat vegetables with each meal. As a side of a meal, as a salad, or fresh.
- If you’re not nuts about beans and nuts, try implementing them in your daily diet, since they provide you with the necessary fibers and reduce the cholesterol levels.
- Avoid the white bread, white rice and the other white products, and use whole grain products instead.
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day.
- Wine is also good for you, but be moderate about it. The recommended amount for the ladies is one glass a day, and for the gentlemen 2 glasses a day.
- Try having some kind of physical activities at least 30 minutes a day. If nothing more, you can walk to work and back, instead of using the car.
On a weekly basis:
- Eat eggs at least four times a week.
- Consume poultry meat a few times a week, but don’t forget to remove the skin.
- Don’t forget to eat fish on a weekly basis. Sea food is also recommendable.
On a monthly basis:
- Don’t consume red meat more than a few times a month.
- Be careful with the sweets. You don’t have to throw them completely out of the diet, just try to replace them with fruit or honey most of the times.
- Other notes to a better diet:
- Consume only natural foods and drinks.
- Have two big meals a day, the breakfast and the lunch. Whenever you feel hungry, take fruit or vegetable to kill the hunger. Eat light in the evening (mostly salad)
- Eat slowly. Don’t rush when it comes to food.
- Try using less salt, and more herbs and spices.
- Do not forget the importance of physical activity. There are so many different types of it, there’s most certainly something that would suit you.
The Mediterranean diet would not allow you to lose weight all of the sudden. It’s a slow process, but it’s worth it and it is the healthiest way towards a better lifestyle. The most important thing is that it has proven its efficiency more than any other diet.