So, these yellow weeds in the yards and gardens have a lot more benefits that you thought. The dandelion was used in history a lot, for health cures especially for kidney problem, liver isues, heartburn and appendicitis.
Every part of this plant starting from roots to flower can be eaten; it contains zinc, potassium and iron, also the vitamins D, C, A and B. But, by eating it you get many benefits.
- As to latest studies, this plant extract improves immunity and blocks microbes.
- It also has beta carotene more than carrots so it improve pigment amount and eye sight.
- Many antioxidants anti cancer properties, stops early aging and oxidative stress
- Animal studies showed that leaves and root help with bad cholesterol
- Improves digestive functions according to University of Maryland Medical Center. The root acts like a laxative, dry or fresh regardless, it improves appetite and belly health.
- It can also be a diuretic and helps with the kidney work of eliminating extra water and salt, also waste through the urine.
- Stops cognitive declining and makes bones stronger – daily need of vitamin K is equal to 535% of this.
- As from a 2011 study, the root tea can make leukemia cells dead and keep the healthy ones intact.
Below are the 24 incredible uses of this flower:
Usually, it is used for skin issues and reducing pain or inflammation.
Pain relief oil
This plant reduces muscle or joint pain. Just infuse dandelion flower in some oil and use for massage. Place also fresh dandelion in a jar with base oil, like almond or olive to the very top. Leave ti like that for 2 weeks and strain. Place in a jar and in the fridge.
Pour the oil in a balm. Also you can mix it with beeswax and place this in a jar and let it cool.
Removal for warts
This plant removes warts with the stems, root and leaves since it has white sticky resin. That sap can be put on the warts many time daily to remove them.
For dry or cracked skin this lotion is a miracle to remove redness and itching. Take dandelion oil and beeswax, also lavender oil and shea butter to make a nice cream.
In the kitchen
You can also eat the dandelion
This type of vinegar can be put in soups, stews, salad and dressings or sauces too. Or just drink as some tonic water. Infuse in vinegar all the flowers for 30 days and strain. You can keep it in a dark place for a year.
Pumpkin seed dandelion pesto
This recipe can be a veggie dip, pasta addition or sandwich spread. Add some lemon juice too and toasted seeds and even parmesan!
Throw the green parts and dip the flower in butter. Fry to make a nice gourmet dish.
Sautéed green and garlic
With many vitamins and minerals, you can sauté the dandelion with garlic, capers or ginger to make it less bitter. Also, blanch these in water that boils for half a minute to change the acrid taste.
Cook the flower with wine, stock, parmesan and yoghurt.
Waffle and pancake syrup
Stir lemon, sugar, honey and dandelions.
Dandelion can replace cabbage easily for typical Korean kimchi. Ferment spices and greens, soy sauce, onion and herbs.
This jelly can be put in toast and donuts and crumpets. Keep it in airtight container for 2 weeks tops.
Sorbet from petals
Make a delish ice treat from the blossoms, lemon juice, sugar, honey
Make muffins soaked in tasty sauce; dandelion petals, flour, honey, oatmeal and serve with asparagus on the side or pea.
Mix dandelion, oats, honey and lemon
Ice tea of dandelion and lime
This tea is not just tasty but clears the skin too. Blend fresh lime, stevia and dry raspberries. Add quart dandelion flowers.
Stir dandelion syrup, cinnamon, mashed pineapple, blossom petals, coconut, walnuts
Two ways Danish schnapps
From the flower heads make desserts (cookies, cakes, chocolate, sauces). Also, brew the plant to make aromatic liqueur. This can be served with strong taste meats.
You can have a caffeine free beverage from brewed dandelions. Roast them, grind them and cook.
Any country wine can be enriched with these flowers. Cook them with lemon zest, raisins and water for few months.
Garden and home
- Yellow dye: cook the heads of the plant to make similar to chemical dye. This can be used to lighten up fabric colors or wool
- Table centerpiece: take used wood and nails and make a wooden box, hammer the nails in the underside and place dandelions over it.
- Bees food: this plant is the best season food for bees
- Goat food: goats also want vegetarian ingredients, so weed of dandelion is a treat to them
- Fertilizer: you will fill the garden with nutrients if you make a liquid fertilizer from this or weed tea. Just place them with deep roots; brew organic fertilizer and spray on flowers and veggie gardens.