Watermelon is our favorite summer fruit, to all of us. It is refreshing, tasty, sweet and a great snack for those hot days. It is great for the taste buds, it has little calories and a lot of amino acids and antioxidants. Yummy!
Also it has beta carotene good for the skin and bones, keeps the eyesight good, stops macular degeneration, lowers high pressure and improves blood flow. Besides, keeps you hydrated and is a diuretic or cleanser for the kidneys and the whole body.
When I was a kid I really loved this fruit. It was also the favorite snack of the school team too.
When I moved out I had to buy it myself but if you don’t know how to pick this fruit the right way it can be ruined for you!
These are the steps of picking this perfect fruit of the pile:
- Weight- must feel really heavy
- Yellow spotting- never choose the watermelon with a big yellow stain on it. Must be spotless. Or if it has a spot, must be a small one. This spot means the sun didn’t reach the watermelon all the way. Or it was not turned by the farmer often enough and it touched dirt beneath.
- Bruises- the fruit has to be bruise-free and not too big. The medium size is the best.
- Cut in half- it is against buying rules but ask politely the seller to cut the fruit in half before you buy it. This way you see inside for ripeness. Also, when cut it cannot crack on the outside. To have it cracked means it is not moist inside enough.
See this recipe below for a creative way to eat watermelon I the summer:
- Watermelon salsa
- Preparing time- 6 minutes
- 2/3 cup cilantro fresh leaves
- 1 jalapeno
- Lime juice
- 1 cup red onion
- ½ cup mint fresh
- 4 cups watermelon
Skin and slice the watermelon and dice into chunk cubes. Put this in a bowl. Then slice the onion, jalapeno and cilantro and the mint in the end. Add this to the melon cubes. Pour the lime juice over it. Enjoy!