The liver is one of the most important organs in the body. It is shielded by the ribs partially and is in the upper quadrant of our torso/abdomen.
It is vital for many functions so we need to keep it healthy.
Early sings of liver damage- 12 of them!
There are more than 100 problems linked to the liver health. Some include cirrhosis , hepatitis, fatty liver and alcoholic liver. Symptoms are all vague so you need to be careful in looking for them.
They may be:
- Upset belly- vomiting and nausea are common here. But they can also signal other issues like migraine, poisoning, vertigo, nausea, pregnancy, motion illness or depression. Also they can be kidney issues. If the liver is damaged you will surely have nausea since the liver can not remove the toxins. Other reason for this is changed metabolism.
- Fatigue and weakness- you might feel tired all the time. The liver has to work harder and need more rest after that. Again, it cannot deal with all the toxins that need to be removed.
- Less appetite- the bile aids in digestion of fats and if food is not good digested we lose weight and eat less.
- Bad digestion- the liver makes the bile. If it is damaged, there is diarrhea and bad digesting. Even more, we might get irritable bowel syndrome, fatty foods intolerance and alcohol intolerance, also gallstones, abdomen bloating, and constipation.
- Changed urine- the color can become orange, brownish or amber and this is due to the bilirubin in the blood. Since the liver does not remove it, it goes in the urine.
- Changed stool- when we have lack of bile, the stool changes too. Instead of brown it can become pale, yellow, clay color or gray. Anyway, this needs urgent medical advice.
- Jaundice- in this condition, the skin, eyes, tongue and fingers can become yellow. Also, jaundice is due to bladder issues so head to the doctor now.
- Abdomen changes- cramps and pain in the lower stomach can be a sign. Ascites is one early sing of liver damage when fluids are kept in the lower belly. Along this you may have hypertension in the vessels in the abdomen known as portal hypertension.
- Fluid retention- fluid is kept in the ankles and feet mostly. It can be due to heart issues, lymph problems, kidney damage and hormone imbalance.
- Sensitive skin- if the liver is damaged, the skin gets more flakes and irritations. Also veins are easily seen due to sensitivity. You get more bruises as well. Keeping it healthy with creams might help only topically.
- Abdomen pain- this tenderness in the belly is the most obvious sign.
- Constipation, diarrhea and intestine bleeding- we might notice blood from the intestines that is also linked to diarrhea and constipation.
These are the most frequent 12 signs among many others. Also a damaged liver can show itself through hormone imbalance in men, loss of libido and breast syndrome in men. Consult a doctor for any of these.