The oranges are amazing for the health, mainly because they are rich in vitamin C. Also, they contain vitamin B and vitamin A, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, soluble fiber and some other nutrients. After enjoying this tasteful fruit, most of the people throw away the orange peels. But, they don’t know that they miss out many health benefits, because the orange peels have unique uses for the health and beauty. Also, you can include shredded peels in your cooking. Vitamin C and fruit acids are present in the skin peels – the peels have more flavonoids and phytonutrients than the inner pulp.
Here we will present you 10 uses of the orange peels.
1. Improves the skin tone
Dark spots and skin blemishes can be reduced with the orange peels. The peels work like a natural bleacher and improve the skin tone. Also, the vitamin C keeps the skin suppleness, adds a glow and prevents dullness. Also, it protects the skin from the UV – ultraviolet sunrays.
- Make a paste by mixing 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt and 2 teaspoons of orange peel together with 1 teaspoon of honey. Apply this powerful mask on your face and neck too, and massage gently in a circular motion. After 20 minutes, rinse the mask with lukewarm water. Use this mask two or three times every week.
2. Fights aging signs
The orange peels are rich in antioxidants that fight off the free radicals, which damage the healthy skin cells, promotes wrinkles, sagging skin, fine lines and accelerate skin aging. Also, the peels work like a skin toner, because of their astringent properties.
- Mix 1 tbsp of oatmeal powder and orange peel powder with honey and make a paste. Apply this mixture on the face and on the neck too. After 30 minutes, rinse the mixture with cold water. Use this mask once a week.
3. Removes whiteheads and blackheads
The orange peel powder can work like a natural exfoliating agent and can remove the dead skin cells and dirt from the skin. It prevents the formation of whiteheads and blackheads, and also reduces the acne.
- Make a paste with equal amounts of plain yogurt and orange peel powder. Apply the mixture on the face and neck with circular motions. After 15 to 20 minutes, rub off the paste with wet hands. You can use this mixture every other day if you want to reduce the whiteheads and blackheads. After that, you can use it once a week like a preventive measure.
4. Whitens teeth
The orange peels (fresh) can reduce that yellow tinge on your teeth. The orange peel contains one compound that is known as d-limonese. It helps reduce the teeth staining, especially those smoking stains.
- Rub the inside of one orange peel over the teeth for two to three minutes. After that rinse the mouth with lukewarm water. Repeat this twice a day until your teeth are white.
- Also, you can mix some orange peel powder and water to make the paste. Also, you can add dried leaves. Put the paste on the toothbrush and brush the teeth. Repeat this process twice daily.
5. Aids the weight loss
The orange peels can aid the weight loss. The oranges contain many nutritional components, especially vitamin C. It can help to burn the fat. If you are on a diet, you can include the orange peel tea instead the sodas and coffee.
- Preparation of the tea: dry the orange peels in a cool and dry place. Put one tablespoon of the orange peels in one cup of hot water. Cover the tea and let it for 10 minutes. After that, remove the peels and you can add a little honey. Drink two cups of this tea every day.
Note: wash the orange peels thoroughly before you dry them, and make sure that you use organic oranges.
6. Lowers the bad cholesterol
The orange peels can reduce the ‘bad’ cholesterol or LDL in your body, which increases the risk of heart diseases and heart attacks. The orange peels are rich in pectin, which is a natural soluble fiber that helps reduce the blood pressure levels and cholesterol levels. According to one study from 2004 published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, the polymethoxylated flavones in the peels can lower the cholesterol and don’t have side effects like the drugs.